I have been glamorously fighting a cold for the past week, which has involved ingesting copious quantities of glamorous chicken soup, Vernor’s and Tylenol; glamorously sleeping 15 hours a day; and glamorously sneezing into an ever-expanding pile of glamorously wadded Kleenex.
At some point during one of my virus-fueled fever dreams, my muse came unto me and told me I should start a lifestyle blog. Featuring my actual lifestyle.
…Followed by a resounding “What’s a lifestyle blog?”
Since Googling things and then pretending I knew that all along is completely on-brand in my particular writer lifestyle, here’s what I
have learned have sagely always known about lifestyle blogging.
1. It’s basically a digital zoo exhibit.
This post at MediaKix says:
A lifestyle blog is best defined as a digital content representation of its author’s everyday life and interests. A lifestyle blogger creates content inspired and curated by their personal interests and daily activities.
I’ve been trying to write content inspired and curated by “things I find interesting about writing and creativity that other people might also find interesting about writing and creativity.” Apparently, my illness-impelled muse says this is all wrong, and I should just be badly Instagramming my food instead. (“How to Take Photos That Are Definitely Not Insta-Worthy,” coming soon to this blog!)
2. …Except it’s supposed to teach you how to brush the cheetahs.
Meanwhile, blogger Ashley Coleman has this to say about the difference between personal blogging and lifestyle blogging:
Personal blogs will rely heavily on personal narrative, essay, opinion. Lifestyle blogs include personal elements but often give you some really tangible things to take away. How to make a great cake. How to design your workspace. Meanwhile, personal stories will either inspire you, inform you, or maybe make you laugh.
…I mean, I can definitely teach people how to emulate my glamorous
ly snotty writer lifestyle. In fact, here’s a free printable (I guess that’s a thing now?) for emulating my glamorous writer wardrobe!
Actionable takeaways! This lifestyle blog thing is really taking off.
3. I’m supposed to make people jealous, I guess?
I’m a little confused on this point, because Googling “lifestyle blogging jealousy” turned up a ton of posts on how to stop being jealous of other people’s perfectly-curated lifestyle blogs and Instagram accounts, but the whole point of perfect curation seems to be to make other people jealous of your lifestyle in the first place.
So here’s my best shot at making you all jealous of me:
I write for a living, which is to say that I have no day job or side gig: Writing is what I do. I’ve been doing that for about ten years now. I live in an adorably venerable house with three adorable cats who adorably destroy things for fun, I have a husband who thinks I’m the greatest thing since sliced greatness, I have spent the last week sneezing my brain matter into handfuls of tissues, and I only sometimes wear pants.
And I can show you how to do it, too. I guess.
4. Write about everything but also only these things.
So: My muse wants me to present my life the way it is in order to engender jealousy in others, which is obviously not going to work. I mean, just check out my totally cute and enviable kitchen:
WRITER LIFE is all about the deluxe-sized bag of corn chips, empty food containers nobody’s put in the recycling yet, and a sinkful of dishes I’m ignoring in order to write this blog post. You, too, can have this amazingly glamorous lifestyle!
What the heck is my lifestyle blog supposed to be about, then? MediaKix recommends:
Lifestyle bloggers share a broad variety of content centered around and inspired by their personal lives — most notably family, home, travel, beauty, food, recipes, fashion, makeup, design and decor.
*rubs hands together* *cracks knuckles* Okay, I got this.
Coming soon, from my totally awesome writer lifestyle blog that is totally awesome and definitely not something I got told to do by the Nyquil-addled voices in my head….
- Family: How to Spend Quality Time With Your Manuscript Instead of These Weirdos!
- Home: My Favorite Houses to Not Die of Consumption In
- Travel: The Bright Thing In the Sky: What It Is and Why You Shouldn’t Stare Directly At It
- Beauty: Hey, This Ink Smudge On My Hand Kinda Looks Like a Cat
- Food: How to Make Coffee Part of Every Major Food Group
- Recipes: Coffee, Coffee With Milk, Coffee With Vodka, Coffee With Milk and Vodka, Okay That’s a White Russian You Literally Just Invented a White Russian Now Stop It
- Fashion: *points to infographic*
- Makeup: 1.2 Ways to Make Yourself Presentable Before You Run Out for More Creamer (You NEED to Do At Least Number 0.2, Okay?)
- Design: Creating Your Perfect Writing Space (and Then Ignoring It In Favor of Scribbling on the Toilet)
- Decor: 50 Fun Organization Hacks to Avoid Your Looming Deadlines
…Y’all, I am so excited about this new lifestyle blog! Praise to my plague-prompted muse!